Learning Disabilities Society exists to ensure that children with Learning Disabilities and their families have access to the tools they need to increase self-esteem and achieve academic success. We do this by delivering remedial teaching programs and by providing individualized support to children and families. Our vision is to ensure that children and youth with Learning Disabilities recognize their unique strengths and have the confidence and tools to achieve academic success.
To contact us, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 604.873.8139
We are located at 3292 E. Broadway, Vancouver, BC V5M 1Z8
Meet The Team
To see our staff contact list, please visit: ldsociety.ca/about/bios
LDS is governed by a diverse group of individuals, who are committed to using their talents to create a strong agency that makes a difference in the lives of the children and families we work with. LDS is grateful to these passionate volunteers. To reach our board, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maple Leaf Foods
VP of Industrial Relations
UBC, Faculty of Education
Associate Professor, Chris Spencer Foundation Professor in Dyslexia
Dentons Canada LLP
Director of Talent, Vancouver
Shoreline West Asset Management
President and CEO
Hon. Wendy J. Harris Q.C.
BC Supreme Court
The work we do is made possible by the committed and passionate staff and volunteers who work to bring our programs to life. If you are interested in working with us please contact email@example.com or call the office at 604-873-8139.
Now Hiring LD Insturctors
Do you have experience working one-on-one with children who have learning disabilities? Are you seeking a supplementary position that complements your background as an Education Assistant, Resource Teacher or retired teacher?
LDS would like to work with YOU!
The Learning Disabilities Society is a growing non-profit with a mission to empower every child and adolescent with a Learning Disability in Vancouver to achieve life-long success and happiness.
Contract type: 6 months, January – June 2019. Optional summer term through July/ August.
Start date: immediately.
Starting rate: $28/ hour.
Hours: flexible after school & weekend hours OR be based in one of our partner schools Monday- Thursday, 9-3pm.
Locations: East Vancouver (Broadway & Rupert), Coquitlam (Brew St), North Vancouver (3rd and Lonsdale) and/or a partner school site.
Professional Development Opportunities:
- Partake in a PAID Self-regulated Strategy Development (SRSD) training. SRSD, a teacher training program and guide, is the leading, research-proven writing intervention and teaching method.
- Receive regular support from our Education Consultant, have access to an extensive range of teaching materials and attend an instructor orientation session offering an opportunity to share best practice.
LDS’s specialized instructors offer individualized and professional support that teaches children to leverage their learning strengths in order to overcome their learning challenges. Within 2 to 3 years, our programs teach children to be independent in the school system. By joining our team as an Instructor, you will play a vital role in helping our clients to reach their full potential.
- Experience working with children with diagnosed or suspected Learning Disabilities
- An understanding of Individual Education Plans
- Ability to assess client’s needs using a variety of assessment strategies and instruments to provide appropriate remediation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and parents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Completed Bachelor of Education.
- Completion of a Diploma or Master’s in Special Education.
- 2 years’ experience in a resource department within your school district.
- Orton Gillingham Certification.
Instructors are required to go through a recent criminal record check. Your application must include the following:
- Cover letter: please state availability and location preference.
Please submit application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org