RISE to Readiness is a free program funded by the United Way of the Lower Mainland through support from the Government of Canada’s Emergency Community Support Fund.
The primary aim of the program is to assist students and their families with preparing for returning to school in September by developing planning, organizational, health and safety, and stress and anxiety reduction skills and strategies. We are hoping to facilitate a successful return to the classroom in September following a several month long break for most students due to COVID-19.
- specialized sessions on getting organized for high school and back to school
- skills and strategies for note taking, test taking and reading comprehension using SRSD – Self Regulated Strategy Development
- modified PEERS social skills programming, the only research based social skills programming for teens in the world
- strategies for parents and students to manage stress and reduce anxiety
- a new back pack FULL of all your child’s needed school supplies plus copies of all the resources, strategies and other information shared during the course of the week
- access to assistive technologies as part of our LDS Tech Studio, including BeeLine Reader and MindMeister mind mapping software
- 2-4 ongoing family coaching sessions in September and October with our family coaches and educational consultants on managing anxiety, staying organized, supporting your child and navigating the secondary education system for your child with an LD (getting an IEP, helping with course selection, etc.)