Our One-to-One Instruction helps students with learning differences succeed academically, and assists in building their skills and confidence in and outside of school.
RISE One-to-One programming is suitable for students ages 5 through 18 with a suspected or diagnosed learning difference.
RISE programming is offered at our East Vancouver and North Vancouver locations, at School, online via RISE at Home, or via our mobile classroom LDS Access.
Lessons are generally 50 minutes each of instruction and are offered Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 7:00pm as well as Saturdays between 9:00am and 5:00pm.
Lesson times vary depending on the program and the time of year.
Due to COVID-19, lessons are subject to change.
* Dates may vary depending on interest, staffing, and physical distancing needs.
In our Research-informed Individualized Student Education (RISE) program, students work one-to-one with a qualified instructor on ongoing learning support, foundational skills instruction, explicit instruction, tutoring and homework support. The goal of this learning support program is to improve student independence, confidence, and academic success.
As a parent or guardian, please apply for one-to-one learning support through our online application form. Our Learning Support Team will then reach out to set up an interview time where we will get to know you and your child better, gather information to understand your child’s learning challenges, and begin the process of matching them with an instructor.Apply Now
The instructor assigned to us by LDS is amazing at getting my daughter engaged & excited to learn. She has grown by leaps and bounds and is getting better at reading all the time. Thank you I could not do this alone!Parent of an LDS student
The LDS instructor is an integral part of my son’s education, as she helps him with his novel study for language arts. The magnitude of this assignment would be overwhelming for him, if not for this help.Parent of an LDS student
The care and dedication shown by my daughter Instructor has improved her reading tremendously! The commitment and energy of our Instructor with my daughter really helps us on narrowing in on the areas she really needs to work onParent of an LDS student
Here are some key features of our one-to-one programming. We will discuss the options best suited for your child and family during and following your intake interview.
- Intake screening call for new students.
- Intake interview with family and student to assess scheduling, funding and other needs.
- Informal assessment (where warranted), review of any relevant educational documents (IEP, PsychEd, report cards) to determine learning needs and priorities.
- One-to-one instruction, tutoring, homework support as well as explicit instruction in foundational skills (as determined by need) by experienced, specially trained instructors on school subjects and homework.
- Instructors may draw from our curricula options.
- Instructor can support with test preparation, note-taking, and study skills.
- TutorCruncher summary reports after each session.
- Learning Support Team observation and coaching of instructors.
Where warranted (to be determined in collaboration with families):
- Collaboration with specialists to support your child’s learning needs.
- Case management by LDS’s Learning Support Team, including BC Certified Teacher(s), as well as observation and coaching of instructors (average 2 hours per week).
- Instruction in foundational skills (phonics, reading comprehension, math foundations, writing foundations). Instructors will draw from our curricula options.
- Mid term and end of term detailed reports.
What Does LDS Do?
Through our one-to-one foundational and explicit instruction programs, tutoring, and homework support, LDS empowers unique learners to recognize their own strengths, gain confidence, and achieve lifelong confidence and success inside and outside the classroom.
Become a Donor
Thank you to our supporters who contribute to making our programming accessible for families in need.
If you would like to contribute to our bursary fund to ensure all students have access to the educational support they deserve, please consider making a monthly or one-time donation.Donate Now Contact Us
Thank you to our donors
Our donors play a vital role in sustaining our programming. We are so grateful for their continued support of children and youth in our community with learning differences.