Learning Disabilities Society is a growing, innovative, research-based, non-profit charitable organization serving children with learning challenges (including diagnosed and suspected learning disabilities). In collaboration with academic institutions, LDS offers individualized, evidence-based programs that target student-specific learning needs. Our growing programs and services currently operate from our Learning Centers in East Vancouver and North Vancouver, as well as from 8 school locations. We provide sustainable, affordable and individualized programs to ensure that all children have an opportunity to realize their full potential. Our goal is to ensure that no student is left behind.
Through early intervention, we support students at a critical time in their life, leading to profound, positive change in student life outcomes. We are scaling-up our organization and service provision with the ultimate goal to effect system change with material and wide-ranging societal benefits.
We provide one-on-one remedial instruction individualized for each client’s learning needs in reading, writing, mathematics, homework support, and organization. Clients attend sessions 2+ times a week on a set schedule. We currently schedule sessions Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3pm and 8pm, and on Saturdays between 9am and 5pm, although our scheduling is expanding so there will be further flexibility in these times. Instructors generally work with the same clients throughout the year.
LDS is committed to employment equity and believes that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply.
Please note, LDS’s main office space is located on the ground floor of the building.
Location: East Vancouver Learning Centre and/or North Vancouver Learning Centre
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: 37 hours per week (for fewer hours, please see our contract job posting)
Remuneration: $48,000 + , paid vacation time, generous extended health and dental benefits, professional development opportunities.
- Work with our staff to deliver high quality, customized 1:1 remedial education to our students
- Be punctual to all sessions
- Provide session reports to parents after each session
- Attend instructor in-services and workshops throughout the year
- Maintain documentation and records for students, ensuring confidentiality in reporting
- Create and maintain a positive and supportive culture for learning
- Contribute to our team learning and be an advocate for LDS in the community
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well-organized with excellent leadership abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the B.C. Curriculum (grades 1-10)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Mathematics, or Sciences
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Ability to provide homework support for high school students
- Criminal Record Check with the vulnerable sector
- Eligibility to work in Canada
- Experience working with students with diagnosed or suspected learning disabilities
- Experience in teaching or tutoring environment in math and reading or writing
If you’re passionate about providing inclusive education for children and youth with learning differences, we’d love to hear from you! We’re looking for a professional, personable, and easy-going instructor who can provide specialized instruction to students who learn differently. Candidates must be fluent in English, connect with students of differing ages and abilities, and be able to teach math up to minimum of grade 7, as well as reading (phonics, comprehension), and writing skills.
We are looking for instructors who would like to grow with us. In addition to the qualifications above we welcome applications from individuals who are interested in applying their knowledge, experience, and entrepreneurial spirit to our programming.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications are considered as received. Thank you for your interest!
Please send your resume and cover letter to Claire Matthews, Program Manager at email@example.com.