Learning Disabilities Society (LDS) is a growing, innovative, research-based, non-profit organization serving children with Learning Challenges. In collaboration with UBC, we offer evidence-based customized programs that target student-specific learning needs. Our programs and services operate from our Learning Centres in East Vancouver and North Vancouver, as well as from 8 in-school locations – currently serving approximately 200 students in total. We provide sustainable, affordable and individualized programs to ensure that all children have an opportunity to realize their full potential. Through early intervention, we support students at a critical time in their life, leading to profound, positive change in student life outcomes.
The Associate Director of Learning Support is responsible for leading, with a consultation with senior advisors, LDS education service operations at its Learning Centres and in schools, including designing, implementing and maintaining our delivery of service. This role is responsible for the management of all LDS Learning Support staff and the maintenance and improvement of LDS standard practice, the baseline upon which we measure client success. The Associate Director is a support for parents, staff and instructors and provides advice and recommendations for advocacy.
Position Type: Permanent, full time
Reports to: Executive Director
Remuneration: $70,000 + annual salary, medical and dental health benefits, professional development budget, and generous vacation provision.
Education Services Operations:
The Associate Director leads LDS operations at its Learning Centres and in schools. Specific responsibilities include:
- Management of relations with school principals and School Board representatives
- Management of service provision contracts and oversight of scheduling logistics
- Review of existing and prospective client files including testing (psych-ed assessments, speech and language assessments, OT etc.)
- Debrief of student cases with instructors and development of individualized instruction plans
- Consultation with parents and school teachers
- Oversight of clients at all LDS locations
- Oversight of case management as needed
- General duties involved with delivering LDS ‘best practices’ to students
The Associate Director of Learning Support supervises all LDS Learning Support staff, including supporting staff management of LDS instructors, their performance evaluations, and in progress monitoring of clients.
Advocacy and Parent Support:
The Associate Director leads LDS Learning Support staff in the provision of support and advocacy for parents, in order to foster knowledge, confidence and resources to improve student outcomes. This includes delivery of parent advocacy workshops that help foster a better understanding of unique learning needs, and providing support with school-based teams and school programs.
- Very strong leadership, presentation and management skills
- Very good relationship building skills with external partners and professionals
- Thrive in a collaborative, supportive team environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
Qualifications and requirements:
- Master’s degree in Education or equivalent
- BC Public School Certified Teacher
- Minimum of 5-year direct classroom and/or resource room experience
- 3-5+ years experience working with students with learning disabilities (literacy, numeracy and foundational skills)
- Comprehensive knowledge of the current BC curriculum
- Reliable personal vehicle
- Criminal record clearance
- Eligibility to work in Canada
Equity: LDS is committed to employment equity and believes that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply.
Accessibility: Please note, LDS’s main office space is located on the ground floor of the building.
Please send your resume and cover letter as ONE PDF by 5pm FEBRUARY 2, 2020 to Rachel Forbes, Interim Executive Director at email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you.