Learning Disabilities Society is a growing, innovative, research-based, non-profit charity serving children with learning challenges. In collaboration with academic institutions, LDS offers individualized, evidence-based programs that target student-specific learning needs. Our growing programs and services currently operate from our Learning Centres in East Vancouver and North Vancouver, as well as from six In-School locations. We provide sustainable, affordable and individualized programs to ensure that all children have an opportunity to realize their full potential. Our goal is to ensure that no student is left behind.
Through early intervention, we support students at a critical time in their life, leading to profound, positive change in student life outcomes. We are scaling-up our organization and service provision with the ultimate goal to effect system change with material and wide-ranging societal benefits.
Work term: May-August 2020 (possibility to extend depending on need and funding)
Start date: As soon as possible
Job location: Vancouver, BC (our office is currently working completely remotely; this may change over the summer as permitted)
Wage: $17.00+/hour (potentially more for more experienced candidates)
NOTE: This position may be subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding for youth up to 30 years of age.
Hours per week: 35-40
Supervised by: Executive Director
Are you an experienced, hard working individual and have expertise in designing and producing websites? Are you passionate about making an impact in your community and working for a growing charity? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you. This summer the Learning Disabilities Society of Greater Vancouver (LDS) is looking for a web developer who can redesign our website so LDS can reach more children in need and create greater impact.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work with LDS staff to review the improvements needed for the LDS site, special forms, processes and functionality to accomplish goals. Develop scope, process and timeline for project.
- Coordinate the development of an updated website with increased capabilities and ease of use to help LDS make a bigger impact in the community.
- Preferred to have 2+ years of experience and come with a full portfolio of work in the field of web development and, ideally, graphic design.
- Education in web design or graphic design or industry equivalent.
- Ability to navigate and create WordPress sites.
- Ability to troubleshoot plug-ins, HTML code as per WordPress compatibility.
- Ability to hard code new elements that will run with the WordPress platform to enable desired functionality.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent project management, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Multi-tasker and self-starter who thrives in small, team-oriented environment.
You are the right person for this job if you can demonstrate how you:
1) feel your personal and professional values are aligned with the work we do;
2) pay excruciating attention to detail – in writing, numeracy, time and design;
3) pride yourself on your ability to create and design websites;
4) can bring energy, ideas and initiative to a work team;
5) use various communications methods to help with project management; and
6) are solutions oriented with a can-do attitude.
Equity: LDS is committed to employment equity and believes that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply. Individuals who have diagnosed or suspected learning disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Accessibility: Please note, LDS’s main office space is located on the ground floor of the building.
Successful candidates may be required to provide a Criminal Record Check prior to the start date.
Please send you resume and cover letter including a link to your online portfolio as ONE PDF to Rachel Forbes, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org