Learning Disabilities Society is a growing, innovative, research-based, non-profit charitable organization serving children with learning challenges (including diagnosed and suspected learning disabilities). In collaboration with academic institutions, LDS offers individualized, evidence-based programs that target student-specific learning needs. Our growing programs and services currently operate from our Learning Centers in East Vancouver and North Vancouver, as well as from 8 school locations. We provide sustainable, affordable and individualized programs to ensure that all children have an opportunity to realize their full potential. Our goal is to ensure that no student is left behind.
Through early intervention, we support students at a critical time in their life, leading to profound, positive change in student life outcomes. We are scaling-up our organization and service provision with the ultimate goal to effect system change with material and wide-ranging societal benefits.
We provide one-on-one remedial instruction individualized for each client’s learning needs in reading, writing, mathematics, homework support, and organization. Clients attend sessions 2+ times a week on a set schedule. We currently schedule sessions Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3pm and 8pm, and on Saturdays between 9am and 5pm, although our scheduling is expanding so there will be further flexibility in these times. Instructors generally work with the same clients throughout the year.
We are looking for instructors who would like to grow with us. In addition to the qualifications below, we welcome applications from individuals who are interested in applying their knowledge, experience and entrepreneurial spirit to our programming.
Location: East Vancouver Learning Centre and/or North Vancouver Learning Centre
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: 37 hours per week (for fewer hours, please see our contract job posting)
Remuneration: $48,000 + , paid vacation time, generous extended health and dental benefits, professional development opportunities.
- Work with our staff to deliver high quality, customized 1:1 remedial education to our students
- Be punctual to all sessions
- Provide brief summary to parents / guardians after each session
- Attend instructor in-services and workshops throughout the year
- Administer informal assessments to help identify gaps in clients’ learning
- Develop lesson plans based on these assessments
- Deliver one-on-one remedial instruction to help bridge these gaps
- Set goals and objectives for each client six weeks after instruction begins
- Write two progress reports for each client
- Contribute to our team learning and be an advocate for LDS in the community
Qualifications and Requirements
- Experience working with children with diagnosed or suspected learning disabilities
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Well organized with excellent leadership abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience teaching math at an intermediate elementary (or higher) level
- An understanding of the BC curriculum
- Bachelors degree in Education or related field
- Experience teaching reading, mathematics, and/or writing
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Ability to provide homework support for high school students (asset)
- Orton-Gillingham training (asset
- Criminal record check with the vulnerable sector
- Eligibility to work in Canada
- Ability to use assessment strategies and instruments to provide appropriate remediation
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications are considered as received. Thank you for your interest!
Please send you resume and cover letter to Claire Matthews, Learning Support Manager—Programs at email@example.com
Equity: LDS is committed to employment equity and believes that a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply.
Accessibility: Please note, LDS’s main office space is located on the ground floor of the building.